Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Four Years in a Map

This map of Europe, a gift from my sister, hung on the wall of our apartment almost from the moment we moved in and very quickly became a living document of our travels.  It was virtually impossible to capture in a photograph and I'm afraid that my husband's visit to Svalbard in the Artic Circle and our family kayaking trip along the south coast of Crete didn't quite get into the frame.  Nor have we had the chance yet to mark the spots we'll visit on our upcoming vacation in Turkey (although Istanbul, the site of one of my husband's business trips, did make the cut.)

Looking at this map brings up memories of natural wonders and man-made treasures, great meals and mishaps in navigation, lovely hotels and quirky apartments, taxi rides gone bad and bracing boat rides, and lots of family time spent together.  The funny thing about travel, though, is the more places you visit, the more places there are to see.  Croatia, Ireland, Morocco, Slovenia, and Russia all beckon.  Berlin and Bologna, San Sebastien and the fjords of Norway, we'll get to you some day. 

7 comments:

French Girl in Seattle said...

This is quite impressive, Anne. You have certainly made the most of your four years on the continent. Don't worry "Old Europe" will still be here for you when you return. A bientôt, Veronique aka French Girl in Seattle

Mary Kay Bosshart said...

While sipping my tea and studying your map, I found myself wondering if the color of the dots has any significance. Red = a place that you really liked, etc. Yup, thinking about things like this is just one of the many ways that I procrastinate in the morning...

Brenna said...

Wow, I have the same thing in my room (and I'm leaving the same time as you), but only a map of France. I have not seen as much as you have, but I love having a visual of all that I've seen and the people I've met.

Duchesse said...

I am in San Sebastian right now and it is lovely. You ought to go when you have the chance:) I´m sure you would love it!

debbie in toronto said...

Do the colours represent a different family member?

Anne said...

The colors of the dots represent different family members (one for each of the four of us) plus there's an additional color for the trips we took as a family.

Starman said...

You've definitely made good use of your time in Europe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails