Monday, May 31, 2010

Aftermath

Last weekend (and by that I mean not yesterday but the weekend before that), the Champs-Élysées was transformed into a vast sea of green, a giant garden occupying the avenue from the Arc de Triomphe all the way to the Rond Point. We attempted a visit on Sunday afternoon; I say attempted because there were so many people and so little room to move on a day when the heat was as close to suffocating as it gets in Paris, that, after snapping the obligatory picture, we bailed. Others were more positive in their assessment of Nature Capitale, as the event was called, and you can see some amazing photos here and here. My photo was less successful.



Say what you will, there's no denying that it was an impressive feat and still one week afterwards, they're still not done with the cleanup. Oh sure, the avenue re-opened last Tuesday morning. But these plants, by the side of Avenue Foch, are still waiting their return to greener pastures.





4 comments:

PeterParis said...

We could have met! (Maybe we did?) :-)

debbie in toronto said...

I hope all the plants went to new homes...I'd hate to think those trees are just lying there drying out ......

Starman said...

I would have stayed as far away as possible.

Belle de Ville said...

I'm always amazed by what the City of Paris comes up with. I love the photos, but like Starman, I would have stayed away from the crowds.

Related Posts with Thumbnails