Thursday, March 25, 2010

Because One Blog is Not Enough, Right?



Well, I don't have reservations yet for the kids' spring vacation coming up at the end of April and my plans to lose 10 pounds, brush up on the subjunctive, and move the winter clothes into the back closet and the spring stuff to the front seem to be pretty much on the back burner. And yet, with all that on my plate, I have decided to launch yet another blog, Posted in Paris. But don't go looking for my dorky sense of humor or tales of my family's travels on the new site. Posted in Paris is strictly business, designed to provide English speaking newcomers with practical information about making a life here. There are dozens of terrific Web sites that already offer up restaurant reviews, tips on the hot new boutiques, and announcements of upcoming exhibitions. But for the newbie in need of a dentist, desperately trying to find the eggs in the grocery store, and wondering just how long it will really take to get phone and Internet service going? Not much.

The passage from newly arrived to veteran expat goes in the blink of an eye. Trust me, it seemed like one minute I was still recovering from jet lag; six months later I was dispensing phone numbers and addresses. Then recently, I had an epiphany. I could keep doing this one e-mail at a time or I could enlist the help of fellow Parisian expats to build a much larger resource that would help new arrivals find the answers to their questions.

Those of you jonesing for a vacation in Paris, this may not be your bag. Those of you already here, I could sure use your help. The site is up but the content's still pretty thin. Surf on over for a visit and drop me a line if you're willing to write a guest post on the topic of your choosing. And those of you who think you might be making an extended stay in the City of Light in the near future, share with me your questions.

And not to worry, I'll still be blogging here, every day except Sunday, a new post each morning somewhere around 8 am. See you around.

A thousand thanks to my talented college pal Angie Hurlbut of New Haven's AH design for the fabulous graphic.

7 comments:

Joy said...

Fantastic, Anne! There is so much about the culture that is "just known" to those "in the know" and is almost never explained to newcomers. We were lucky with (wow, three!) insiders guiding us. I am glad there will be a larger platform to help newcomers break that barrier. I will gladly refer the site to others. :)

Patricia said...

Hi, I've been reading for a while but never commented. I sent the link to 'Posted in Paris' to a friend who just moved there. I think some of it will be good for tourists too - we are going in August, so I'll keep checking back. Thanks!

debbie in toronto said...

Well Anne you do like to keep busy...what a great service...even short term Paris visitors will find something of use....Bonne Chance!

Starman said...

Great idea! I look forward to reading and learning.

Duchesse said...

What a great idea! Good for you Anne!:)

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

The new site is great -- what I have read so far has really helpful information.

Thank you! :)

Frequent Traveler said...

Thank you, Anne! That is a wonderful thing for you to do! It will be hugely appreciated, I am sure. Information like that can make the transition so much easier!

Related Posts with Thumbnails