Friday, February 13, 2009

25 Things I Love About Paris: #9


9. Architectural details.

My Paris experience has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster, lots of ups and downs, although in the past six months, the dips are more like the kiddie ride than the main attraction. One thing that never fails to perk me up is a bus ride across town which gives me a front row view of all the little architectural details that make Paris such a feast for the eyes. (I actually think the view from the bus is better than that on foot because you're raised up so high.)

I love the stone faces that can be found atop doors and on the corners of buildings, door knockers and buzzers, wrought iron balconies, imposing wooden doors, and of course, the incredible statuary to be found in parks, gardens, and squares. There are half timbered buildings in the Marais, Roman ruins in the Latin Quarter, a handful of stunning Art Nouveau buildings in the village of Auteuil, and a few modern successes, including most notably the Musee Quai Branly with its walls covered in vegetation. Click on the picture above to get a bigger and closer look.

2 comments:

Starman said...

Art at every turn is the main thing I love about Europe.

europe-city-guides said...

Paris is full of great architectural monuments..starting from churches, Dome, bridges, Palaces, balconies, administrative buildings.
I can't wait to see a part of it for the first time.
Keep up the good work with this blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails